By Jackie Rogers, Dietetic Intern
This delicious gluten-free recipe is high in protein, healthy fats and has anti-inflammatory properties. It is a healthy option for those with conditions/diseases including cancer, diabetes, neurological disorders and cardiovascular diseases 1–5. Combined, both the patties and the cucumber salad require less than 10 ingredients and 30 minutes to prepare, making them great options for a meal that is simple and quick to put together.
Salmon: In addition to being a great source of protein, salmon is also full of nutrients such as vitamin B12, vitamin B6, vitamin B3, vitamin D, potassium and omega-3 fatty acids that aid our bodies in many important ways 3,4. Its considerably high amount of Vitamin B12 helps nerve and blood cells to function properly 4. One of the most significant parts of salmon is its source of Omega-3s, as they have been shown to help reduce the occurrence of cardiovascular disease, cancer, and cognitive diseases such as dementia and Alzheimers 3.
Cucumbers: Full of antioxidants which have anti-inflammatory properties, cucumbers are a great food to help fight harmful free-radicals in the body 1. They are high in vitamin K, which helps with blood clotting and improving bone health 1,2. Further, cucumbers contain high levels of cucurbitacin, a cancer-fighting nutrient 2.
Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple Cider vinegar poses many health benefits, including helping to manage blood sugar levels and improving insulin function 5. This can be especially important to those with diabetes.
Recipe: Salmon Patties (yields ~2 patties)
- 7 oz salmon
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup oat flour
- ¼ small onion
- Olive oil for frying
Optional: salt and pepper as desired
- Chop up salmon finely
- Chop onions finely
- Add onions, eggs, flour, (and salt/pepper, if desired) to salmon
- Mix together and shape into patties
- Fry in olive oil for approximately five minutes on each side, or until each side is browned
- Remove from the pan.
Recipe: Chilled Cucumber Salad (yields ~2 cups)
- 2 cucumbers
- ⅓ cup Apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
Optional: pepper and dill if desired
- Slice cucumbers thinly
- Place cucumbers in a bowl
- Mix remaining ingredients together in separate bowl
- Pour mixture over cucumbers
- Cover and let sit in refrigerator for 20 minutes- an hour
- Remove from fridge, drain remaining liquid and serve
- In the salmon patties, the oat flour can be replaced with almond flour, whole wheat flour, or any other desired flour.
- Preferred herbs or spices such as garlic or cayenne can be added for taste in both recipes.
- To add extra vegetables, finely chopped vegetables (peppers, leafy greens, cooked sweet potatoes, etc) can be mixed into the patties for added nutrition and/or flavor.
5. Hadi A, Pourmasoumi M, Najafgholizadeh A, Clark CCT, Esmaillzadeh A. The effect of apple cider vinegar on lipid profiles and glycemic parameters: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. BMC Complement Med Ther. 2021;21(1):179. doi:10.1186/s12906-021-03351-w