This month’s “Savor Cooks” recipe features CHESTNUTS. Try our recipe for Roasted Rainbow Roots with Chestnuts, or toss cooked chestnuts into stuffing, soups, salads or pastas for a warm fragrance and pleasant chew.
Don’t forget to check out our Food of the Month post on chestnuts.
Roasted Rainbow Roots with Chestnuts
This recipe takes a basic root vegetable roast and adds a wintry twist with hearty herbs like sage and thyme and roasted chestnuts for extra texture. Chestnuts are softer than other tree nuts so don’t expect a hard crunch. They should still have some firmness but you should be able to chew them with ease.
For the chestnuts
- 1 pound raw chestnuts (about 10-15 chestnuts) in the shell
For the Vegetables
- 1 large beet, red or yellow
- 2 medium rutabagas
- 2 medium turnips
- 5 medium rainbow carrots (mix of purple, yellow and orange)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large sprigs each of fresh thyme and sage
- ½ teaspoon each of salt and black pepper
Add ingredients to shopping list
If you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading it
To prep the chestnuts
- Heat oven to 425F.
- Take one chestnut and grasp firmly between thumb and index finger and carefully make a long slice across the rounded top of the chestnut with a serrated knife. If you have trouble cutting through, use gentle sawing motions and don’t force the blade down. Repeat with remaining chestnuts.
- Place cut chestnuts into a small saucepan, cover with water and bring to a simmer. Once the water simmers, remove the chestnuts from the water with a mesh strainer or slotted spoon and transfer to a baking sheet.
- Roast for 15 to 20 minutes or until the shells begin to peel away where you cut into them.
- Remove from oven, place into a bowl and cover with a towel for 15 minutes, allowing the chestnuts to steam.
- Peel the chestnuts. Both the outer shell and the tough brown skin around the chestnuts should be peeled off. Discard any discolored or off-looking chestnuts.
- Store cooked, peeled and cooled chestnuts in a container with the lid slightly ajar (or a bag with air holes) in the refrigerator.
For the roast
- Heat oven to 375F.
- Peel and roughly chop the beet, rutabagas, turnips and carrots (you can leave the peels on the turnips and carrots if you prefer). Toss the vegetables together with the cooked and peeled chestnuts (you can halve or chop the chestnuts if you like). Place on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, place herb sprigs throughout and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the vegetables are easily pierced with the tines of a fork, tossing once at the 30 minute mark for even cooking.
- Tip: Chestnuts require a bit of work to prepare. We recommend preparing the chestnuts the night before so they are ready-to-use the day you want to roast the vegetables.
Adapted from Tori Avery Blog
Adapted from Tori Avery Blog
Savor Health https://savorhealth.com/