I love recipes in which every single ingredient is a healthy one and this is one of those. Here’s a review of the health benefits of all the components of this recipe:
- Chickpeas – high in soluble fiber and plant nutrients (phytonutrients) this is a great base for this spread.
- Curry powder, turmeric and black pepper – spices are an important part of a cancer-fighting menu. Set a goal to include an herb or spice at every meal. Turmeric and black pepper combine to make a powerful anti-inflammatory. Yellow curry adds a multitude of beneficial spices and a warm savory flavor.
- Avocado is beneficial for it’s monounsaturated fats, otherwise know as omega-9’s.
- Fresh cilantro – that healthy green herb contains beneficial phytonutrients to go along with its distinctive fresh taste.
- Walnuts –are highest in anti-inflammatory omega-3 of all nuts.
- Cranberries – are renowned for their ability to reduce bladder infections but have beneficial phytonutrients beyond this role.
- Mayonnaise- adds healthy unsaturated vegetable oil to the diet.
If you are making this into a sandwich, either open-faced or closed, be sure to use whole grain bread to get added fiber and beneficial phytonutrients.
Taken all together, this is a delicious spread that provides a variety of textures – smooth creamy avocado, crunchy toasted walnuts, chewy dried cranberries and vivid flavours – curry, cilantro and avocado. It is well received every time I prepare for cooking demonstrations with cancer patients, caregivers and survivors.
I hope you enjoy it and it will become a favorite go-to recipe for you.
Excerpted from The Essential Cancer Treatment Nutrition Guide & Cookbook by Jean LaMantia © 2012 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca May not be reprinted without publisher permission.
By Jean LaMantia, Registered Dietitian, Cancer Survivor and Author of The Essential Cancer Treatment Nutrition Guide and Cookbook. Visit Jean’s website to sign-up for her community and be kept informed of her latest interviews, webinars and nutrition information products http://www.jeanlamantia.com