This November, we recognize caregivers and raise awareness for those affected by lung cancer, pancreatic cancer, stomach cancer, and carcinoid cancer. Learn how you can get involved below!
Lung Cancer Awareness Month
Help raise awareness for lung cancer and learn about prevention during Lung Cancer Awareness Month [i].
- Smoking tobacco can increase your chance of developing lung cancer and is the most important risk factor [ii]. Here are some ways to reduce your exposure to this risk factor:
- Try to avoid smoking areas and opt for smoke-free when available to avoid exposure to secondhand smoke [iii].
- Educate children and others about the risks of smoking starting at a young age [iii].
National Family Caregiver Month
National Family Caregiver Month aims to show support, recognize, and honor caregivers as well as educate the public on the challenges of caregiving [iv]. Raise awareness and show your support for caregivers:
- If you’re a caregiver, use the hashtag #CaregiverAnd to share passions that enrich your life [iv]. Learn more about #CaregiverAnd from the Caregiver Action Network here [v].
- Use social media graphics from the Administration for Community Living to celebrate the observance of National Family Caregivers Month [iv].
Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month
The month of November is a time to empower those affected by pancreatic cancer and learn about prevention and risk factors of this disease [vi]. Learn more about prevention below:
- Maintaining a healthy weight may help to reduce the chance of developing pancreatic cancer [vii].
- Aim to eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables. Check out these recipes for inspiration [viii]!
- Limit added sugar in your diet such as sugary drinks [vii]. Check out these tips on reducing added sugar [ix].
Stomach Cancer Awareness Month
Empower individuals and raise awareness of stomach cancer this month [x]. Learn more about stomach cancer prevention:
- Taking part in regular physical activity may help decrease the risk of stomach cancer [xi].
- Learn more about exercising against cancer here [xii].
- Interested in starting a new exercise routine? Check out these tips [xiii].
Carcinoid Cancer Awareness Month
Carcinoid Cancer Awareness Month is dedicated to raising awareness of carcinoid cancer and educating the public on risk factors and prevention [xiv]. There are no known ways to prevent carcinoid cancer at this time, although, not smoking may be able to lower your risk of this disease [xv].
Learn more about Lung Cancer Awareness Month, National Family Caregiver Month, Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month, Stomach Cancer Awareness Month, and Carcinoid Cancer Awareness Month here.
[i] Lung Cancer Awareness Month. Retrieved from: https://www.lung.org/lung-force/about-lung-force/featured-campaigns/lung-cancer-awareness-month
[ii] Lung Cancer Prevention (PDQ). Retrieved from: https://www.cancer.gov/types/lung/patient/lung-prevention-pdq
[iii] Lung Cancer. Retrieved from: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/lung-cancer/symptoms-causes/syc-20374620
[iv] National Family Caregiver Month. Retrieved from: https://acl.gov/news-and-events/downloads-and-multimedia/NFCM
[v] #CaregiverAnd Celebrate Passions That Enrich Your Life. Retrieved from: https://www.caregiveraction.org/caregiverand
[vi] November is Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month. Retrieved from: https://pancreatic.org/november/
[vii] Pancreatic Cancer Risk Factors. Retrieved from: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/pancreatic-cancer/causes-risks-prevention/risk-factors.html
[viii] Recipes. Retrieved from: https://savorhealth.com/resources/recipes/
[ix] 7 Ways to Reduce Sugar. Retrieved from: https://savorhealth.com/7-ways-to-reduce-sugar/
[x] November is Stomach Cancer Awareness Month. Retrieved from: https://nostomachforcancer.org/get-involved/stomach-cancer-awareness-month/
[xi] Can Stomach Cancer Be Prevented? Retrieved from: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/stomach-cancer/causes-risks-prevention/prevention.html
[xii] Exercise Against Cancer. Retrieved from: https://savorhealth.com/exercise-cancer-latest-research/
[xiii] Starting an Exercise Routine. Retrieved from: https://savorhealth.com/starting-an-exercise-routine/
[xiv] Carcinoid Cancer Awareness Month. Retrieved from: https://www.aacr.org/patients-caregivers/awareness-months/carcinoid-cancer-awareness-month/
[xv] Carcinoid Tumor. Retrieved from: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/carcinoid-tumor