What better way to start off the summer than by celebrating Cancer Survivorship Day and setting new health goals during National Men’s Health Week! Learn how you can take part in both of these advocacy events this month while creating healthy habits to keep you nourished and active all summer long!
Cancer Survivorship Day: June 6th
This year National Cancer Survivorship Day is celebrated on June 6th, but recognition extends all month and all year long! This advocacy event aims to celebrate survivors, inspire those diagnosed, support families and loved ones, and encourage community outreach [i]. Here’s how you can get involved:
- Spread the word!
- Use these graphics from National Cancer Survivors Day to help raise awareness [ii]
- Share your celebration using #NCSD2021 to raise awareness of the challenges of cancer survivorship [iii]
- Learn more about cancer survivorship
- Test your knowledge about survivorship by taking the AACR Cancer Survivorship Quiz [iv]
- Help educate yourself and others about cancer research and treatments by reading the AACR Cancer Progress Report [v]
Men’s Health Week
June 14th to 20th marks Men’s Health Week! This week aims to increase the awareness of men’s health issues, encourage the use of health services, and support health policies that meet the needs of men [vi]. Here’s how you can take part in Men’s Health Week and encourage others to follow healthy habits:
- Focus on whole foods!
- Eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables. Challenge yourself to add a vegetable to a dish you prepare or buy this week!
- Use whole grains such as brown rice or products with whole grain listed as the first ingredient
- Try a new recipe! Check out our Savor Health recipes for inspiration [vii]
- Promote long-term wellness and health by keeping a health care routine [viii].
Learn more about Cancer Survivorship Day and Men’s Health Week initiatives here.
[i] National Cancer Survivors Day 2021. Retrieved from: https://www.carcinoid.org/event/national-cancer-survivors-day-june-6-2021/#:~:text=National%20Cancer%20Survivors%20Day%20is,an%20OUTREACH%20to%20the%20community.
[ii] Spread the News on Social Media. Retrieved from: https://ncsd.org/spread-the-news/
[iii] Today, We Celebrate Life After Cancer. Today Is National Cancer Survivors Day. Retrieved from: https://ncsd.org/today-is-national-cancer-survivors-day/
[iv] AACR Cancer Survivorship Quiz. Retrieved from: https://aacr.org/Pages/NCSM-Quiz-2021/
[v] AACR Cancer Progress Report. Retrieved from: https://cancerprogressreport.aacr.org/progress/
[vi] International Men’s Health Week 2021 is June 14-20. Retrieved from: https://www.menshealthmonth.org/imhw/imhw.html#:~:text=International%20Men’s%20Health%20Week%202021%20is%20June%2014%2D20
[vii] Recipes. Retrieved from: https://savorhealth.com/resources/recipes/
[viii] Men’s Health Screenings. Retrieved from: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/mens-health-screenings
[ix] Cheat Sheet for Men’s Cancer Screening and Good Health. Retrieved from: https://blogs.cdc.gov/cancer/files/2018/05/cheat-sheet-mens-cancer-screenings.pdf
[x] Get it Checked Poster Men. Retrieved from: http://www.menshealthmonth.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/getitcheckedpostermen.pdf