As summer is in full swing, sun safety is at its forefront! Summertime is also a great time to support causes that are important to you and your loved ones. This month, join us in celebrating UV Safety Month and Sarcoma Awareness Month by practicing sun safety and taking part in advocacy initiatives.
UV Safety Month
This summer have fun in the sun while protecting your skin! The sun can cause harm to your skin, which can lead to damage and in some cases skin cancer. Stay safe in the sun this summer by following these recommendations:
- Wear sunscreen! Choose broad spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or greater when spending time outdoors. Don’t forget to reapply every 2 hours [i].
- Protect your skin with clothing or a hat. Try choosing clothing that is dark in color and made from tightly woven fabric for greater sun protection [i].
- Sunglasses are a fun summer accessory, but did you know that sunglasses with both UVA and UVB protection may help to better protect your eyes from damage from the sun [i]?
- Remember your water bottle! Staying hydrated when spending time in the heat or sun can help keep your heart healthy as well as prevent muscle cramping and dehydration [ii].
- Keep in mind the time of day, cloud cover, and your surrounding environment. The sun’s UV rays are strongest from 10:00am-4:00pm, can affect your skin even on cloudy days, and may reflect off of surfaces such as snow and water [iii].
Sarcoma Awareness Month
Sarcoma is a type of cancer that affects connective tissues (soft tissue Sarcoma) as well as bones (non-soft tissue Sarcoma). Although rare in adults, sarcoma can account for close to 20% of all pediatric cancers [iv]. Sarcoma Awareness Month aims to encourage education, research, and support around what is often called “the forgotten cancer” [v]. Here’s how you can get involved:
- Enjoy walking? Join Steps to Cure Sarcoma to raise funds for sarcoma advocacy and research [v].
- Learn more about sarcoma and the stories of those affected from the Sarcoma Foundation of America. You can also share your own story [vi].
- Listen to this 60 second “Sarcoma Heroes” clip from the Sarcoma Foundation of America to learn more about sarcoma and help to spread awareness [vii].
Learn more about UV Safety Month and Sarcoma Awareness Month initiatives here: https://savorhealth.com/july-august-awareness/
[i] Sun Safety. Retrieved from: https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/basic_info/sun-safety.htm
[ii] Exercise Safely in Hot Weather. Retrieved from: https://www.eatright.org/fitness/sports-and-performance/hydrate-right/exercise-safely-in-hot-weather
[iii] How do I Protect Myself from Ultraviolet (UV) Rays? Retrieved from: https://www.cancer.org/healthy/be-safe-in-sun/uv-protection.html
[iv] What is Sarcoma. Retrieved from: https://www.curesarcoma.org/patient-resources/
[v] July is Sarcoma Awareness Month. Retrieved from: https://www.curesarcoma.org/sarcoma-awareness-month/
[vi] Patient Stories. Retrieved from: https://www.curesarcoma.org/category/patient-stories/
[vii] SFA in the News. Retrieved from: https://www.curesarcoma.org/wp-content/uploads/340792-Sarcoma-Awareness-60_v6.mp3