Happy Summer! What better time to focus on sun safety than when you’re enjoying time outdoors and having fun in the sun! This month we recognize UV Safety Month and Sarcoma Awareness Month. Learn more about preventative measures you can take as well as how to advocate for awareness of these two important initiatives.
UV Safety Month
UV Safety Awareness Month aims to raise awareness and serve as a reminder of how to practice sun safety [i]. Here’s how you can use sunscreen to protect your skin and body from potentially harmful exposure to the sun:
- Select your sunscreen! When selecting sunscreen pick one that protects against both UVA and UVB rays (broad spectrum) and with an SPF of at least 30 [ii].
- Apply! When putting on sunscreen, be sure to use about a palmful and don’t forget to cover your hands, feet, ears, neck and sides [ii].
- Reapply, reapply, reapply! To maximize your protection from the sun, don’t forget to reapply sunscreen every 2 hours or after going in water [i].
- Check the expiration date! Sunscreen typically lasts 2-3 years. Be sure your sunscreen isn’t expired before using it [ii].
Sarcoma Awareness Month
Sarcoma is often referred to as the “forgotten cancer.” Sarcoma Awareness Month aims to encourage awareness, research and understanding of cancer of the bones and soft tissue [iii]. How can you support this important advocacy event and raise awareness?
- Join Sarcoma Foundation of America’s Virtual Advocacy Day on July 21st! Learn more here [iii].
- Raise awareness about sarcoma symptoms using these infographics from the American Childhood Cancer Organization (Soft Tissue Sarcoma, Osteosarcoma) [iv].
- Test your knowledge! Take this Sarcoma Quiz from the Cancer Research Institute to learn more about sarcoma [v].
Learn more about UV Safety Month and Sarcoma Awareness Month initiatives here.
[i] July 2021 PSA: Ultraviolet (UV) Safety Awareness Month. Retrieved from: https://www.minnesotapa.org/news/571821/July-2021-PSA-Ultraviolet-UV-Safety-Awareness-Month.htm
[ii] Preventing Skin Cancer. Retrieved from: https://www.cancer.org/healthy/be-safe-in-sun/skin-cancer-prevention-infographic.html
[iii] Sarcoma Awareness Month. Retrieved from: https://www.curesarcoma.org/sarcoma-awareness-month/
[iv] July is Sarcoma Awareness Month. Retrieved from: https://www.acco.org/sarcoma-awareness-month/
[v] Sarcoma Awareness Month: 2021 Immunotherapy Research Updates. Retrieved from: https://www.cancerresearch.org/blog/july-2021/sarcoma-awareness-month-2021-immunotherapy-researc