This month, we recognize Prostate Cancer Awareness Month, Childhood Cancer Awareness Month, Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month, Gynecological Cancer Awareness Month, and Leukemia and Lymphoma Awareness Month. Learn more below about prevention tips and how to show your support of those affected.
Prostate Cancer Awareness Month
Factors like early detection and healthy lifestyle practices may help to improve the treatment and reduce the risk of prostate cancer [i, ii].
- Research suggests that maintaining a healthy weight may help to reduce the risk of developing prostate cancer [ii].
- Aim to consume a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and limiting processed foods [ii]. Check out these Savor Health recipes for inspiration!
- Staying active can help to maintain a healthy weight [ii]. Learn more about the benefits and recommendations for exercising here.
Childhood Cancer Awareness Month
Unlike many types of cancers, childhood cancer is much less impacted by lifestyle risk factors [iii]. Childhood Cancer Awareness Month focuses on raising funds for and increasing the awareness of childhood cancer [iv]. Here’s how you can get involved:
- Be an advocate! Learn more about how to increase the awareness and priority of childhood cancer at the state, national, and global level here from the American Childhood Cancer Organization [v].
- Raise awareness by sharing your story. Sharing the story of you or a loved one can be an impactful way to educate others about the impacts of childhood cancer [vi].
Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month
In early stages, ovarian cancer can be known to have a lack of symptoms, which is why awareness of symptoms and risk factors is very important [vii]. Learn more about recognizing symptoms and risk factors:
- Educate yourself about ovarian cancer risk factors here [viii].
- Learn more about the signs and symptoms of ovarian cancer from the American Cancer Society [ix].
Gynecologic Cancer Awareness Month
Knowing and recognizing the risk factors and warning signs of gynecologic cancer may help to lower your risk [x]. Learn more about screening and prevention:
- Use this Gynecologic Cancer Awareness Month toolkit from the Foundation for Women’s Cancer to learn about prevention, screening and awareness efforts [xi].
- Know when to get screened. Click here to learn more [xii].
Leukemia and Lymphoma Awareness Month
This month there are many ways you can help spread awareness of blood cancers and take part in advocacy efforts. Learn more about how to get involved:
- Check out this guide for awareness and fundraising ideas [xiii].
Read more about prevention and advocacy for September Awareness here.
[i] Prostate Cancer Awareness Week. Retrieved from: https://www.prostateconditions.org/get-involved/events/111-prostate-cancer-awareness-week
[ii] Prostate Cancer Prevention. Retrieved from: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/prostate-cancer/in-depth/prostate-cancer-prevention/art-20045641
[iii] Can Childhood Cancer be Prevented? Retrieved from: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-in-children/preventing-childhood-cancers.html
[iv] Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. Retrieved from: https://www.acco.org/childhood-cancer-awareness-month/
[v] Advocacy. Retrieved from: https://www.acco.org/advocacy/
[vi] Share Your Story. Retrieved from: https://childrenscancer.org/resources-for-families/share-your-story/
[vii] Ovarian Cancer. Retrieved from: https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/types/ovarian?pn_mapping=pn_11&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtZH7BRDzARIsAGjbK2ab4Ew0h9qNaBh7AmaipB27FoltrPMTwtJYKLrdmtb4Ks60GjtxXLQaAiDJEALw_wcB#what-is-ovarian-cancer-
[viii] Ovarian Cancer Risk Factors. Retrieved from: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/ovarian-cancer/causes-risks-prevention/risk-factors.html
[ix] Signs and Symptoms of Ovarian Cancer. Retrieved from: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/ovarian-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/signs-and-symptoms.html
[x] What can I do to Lower my Risk? Retrieved from: https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/gynecologic/basic_info/prevention.htm
[xi] September is Gynecologic Cancer Awareness Month: https://www.foundationforwomenscancer.org/wp-content/uploads/Foundation-for-Womens-Cancer_GCAM-Toolkit_2019.pdf
[xii] Screening Recommendations for Gynecological Cancer. Retrieved from: https://www.upmc.com/locations/hospitals/magee/services/magee-womens-cancers/gynecologic-cancer-program/diagnostic-services/screenings
[xiii] Awareness and Fundraising Guide. Retrieved from: https://lymphoma.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/LIR-Guide.pdf