This recipe has summer dessert written all over it. Refreshing and light for those soon to be too hot summer nights. Although it calls for a variety of melons (and variety never hurt anyone!), it would be equally yummy with just one or two kinds. This dish not only offers the benefits of calcium and protein rich yogurt, but heart healthy pistachios as well; while the mélange of melons will give you a nice variety of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Especially that cantaloupe, packed with vitamins A and C, potassium and a good source of fiber, niacin, vitamin B6 and folate. The crunchy brittle is a perfect topping for the soft and juicy melons.
Melon with Yogurt and Pistachio-Sesame Brittle
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of ground cardamom
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- ¼ cup unsalted, raw pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons raw sesame seeds
- Flaky sea salt (such as Maldon)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon rose water (optional)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (2% fat or less)
- ¾ pound seedless watermelon, rind removed, sliced (about 4 slices)
- ¾ pound honeydew, rind removed, seeded, sliced (about 4 slices)
- ¾ pound cantaloupe, rind removed, seeded, sliced (about 4 slices)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bring sugar, cardamom, and ¼ cup water to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar; let cardamom syrup cool.
- Lightly coat a parchment-lined baking sheet with nonstick spray. Toss pistachios and sesame seeds in a small bowl with half of syrup and spread out on prepared baking sheet. Bake, tossing occasionally, until golden, 12–15 minutes; season with salt. Let cool (brittle will harden as it cools), then break into small pieces.
- Combine lemon juice, rose water, and remaining cardamom syrup in a small bowl.
- Spoon yogurt onto plates. Top with melon and brittle, drizzle with lemon-cardamom syrup, and season with salt and pepper.
Bon Appetite. Melon with Yogurt and Pistacchio-Sesame Brittle. Accessed from http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/melon-with-yogurt-and-pistachio-sesame-brittle.