Rhubarb season always comes and goes before we can blink our eyes twice. So go get your hands on some STAT.
Quick Strawberry-Rhubarb Compote
Serving strawberry-rhubarb compote with oatmeal and/or yogurt is a great way to get a big nutrient boost first thing in the morning. You can also swirl it into a smoothie, yogurt, or cottage cheese or spread it onto whole-wheat toast. For a spring centric dessert, pour the compote over some good quality vanilla ice cream, or fold it into softly whipped cream.
- 1 pound (or 1 bunch) rhubarb
- 1 heaping cup strawberries
- ½ cup honey and/or granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Lemon juice
- Fresh ginger
Add ingredients to shopping list
If you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading it
- Slice the gangly ends off of the rhubarb stalks. Chop the stalks into tiny bite-size pieces (you may need to peel off some of the outer layers of the stalks if they do not slice nicely). Hull the strawberries and chop them.
- Place chopped rhubarb and strawberries in a medium pot on the stove. Heat over medium heat until it begins to soften and bubble slightly. You may need to add some water to get it going (start with a few tablespoons until it gets to the consistency you like).
- Add in ¼ cup of sweetener, vanilla extract, a squeeze of lemon juice, and a few grates of fresh ginger. Stir the mixture and taste. Slowly add in the other ¼ cup of sweetener. You may use all of it or not; it depends how tart you want your compote to be. Keep cooking until the mixture is soft and tastes delicious. Total cooking time may range from 10 to 15 minutes.
- Let the mixture cool. Store it in a jar or quart container in the fridge. Keeps for 1 week.
- Try to use as little sweetener as possible, but you will definitely need something sweet to mellow out the tartness. Just add the sweetener in slowly, and taste often during the cooking process to adjust the flavor to your liking. The strawberries also add some natural sweetness.
Savor Health http://savorhealth.com/