Eat the pumpkin? Oh no, pumpkin’s are not just for decoration. You can, and should, be eating this nutrient dense fruit.
Pumpkin can take on different flavor combinations very well. Pumpkin is often seen in dessert recipes, but it can also be used in smoothies, oatmeal, mashes, roasts, curries, soups, stews, risottos, and grain-based salads.
In this recipe for Roasted Pumpkin Slices with Cilantro Avocado Dressing, the pumpkin slices are drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with a mix of sweet and savory spices – cinnamon, chili powder, and garlic powder.
No need to peel off the outer skin of the pumpkin. The skin is edible and full of fiber and vitamins and minerals. *If you are having difficulty swallowing, remove the skin of the pumpkin and just eat the soft roasted inner flesh.
The dressing is creamy from the sour cream and avocado, and bright from the cilantro and lemon. The orange pumpkin with the green dressing adds a refreshing pop of color to the meal.
Leftover dressing can be used on any roasted vegetable or salad-like dish.
Want to mix things up? Try the roasted pumpkin slices with a tahini lemon dressing instead, and serve with fresh pomegranate arils on top for crunch and color.
Don’t forget to check out our Food of the Month post on pumpkin.
- 1 medium pumpkin
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper – about ¼ – ½ teaspoon each
- ½ medium avocado
- 1 cup cilantro leaves and stems
- 1 small garlic clove
- ¼ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 400F.
- Carefully cut the top of the pumpkin off. Then slice the pumpkin into quarters and scoop out the seeds and inner pulp with a large metal spoon.
- Cut each pumpkin quarter into ½-inch thick slices. Place on baking sheet and drizzle on the oil and rub it into the squash with your hands. Sprinkle the spices over the pumpkin and roast for about 30 to 40 minutes, flipping the slices over midway through baking.
- Optional: separate the seeds from the pulp, rinse, and dry on paper towel and roast separately in the oven (325F) with a teaspoon of olive oil and sprinkle of salt for 20 minutes, stirring midway through baking. *You can also boil the seeds in salted water for 10 minutes before drying and baking to make the seeds easier to digest.
- Take out of the oven and let cool on the counter for at least 5 minutes.
- While the pumpkin roasts, prepare the Cilantro Avocado Dressing. Place the ingredients in a blender or food processor and whiz until smooth.
- Serve the pumpkin slices with a big drizzle of the dressing.