The statistics are clear and the relationship with cancer, compelling.
More than 80% of adults and adolescents do not meet the guidelines for both aerobic and strength training exercises and 80.2 million Americans are physically inactive. Cancer rates in America are reaching 1.7 million new cases and causing about 595,690 deaths each year. Promisingly, The World Cancer Research Fund estimates that 20% of the cancers can be totally and most effectively prevented by physical activity and reduced body fatness. Now that is a powerful statement for an effective prevention and therapy!
However simple it may sound, it is surely quite the opposite! Multifactorial and complex, Savor understands the challenges faced when considering the pros and cons surrounding exercise.
Exercise. A powerful tool.
Research is continuing to show strikingly positive benefits to date, in all populations over the long term. And the research continues! Everything from general body fat and total body weight to tumor size and side effects from chemotherapy are positively impacted because of exercise. Life’s challenges make consistent physical activity an understandable dilemma. We are meant to move; our bodies depend on it, it influenced our genetic coding, and our evolutionary history is in large part shaped around our need to exercise for survival. But we aren’t moving enough. Our bodies are metaphorically sounding the emergency alarms, yet our ears are deaf. No time is better than now to make that change. Get those shoes laced and ready, and make time to get out the door no matter what. Now is the time to move!
Exercise. A powerful tool. Let’s move our bodies!
To help you on your way, a new and exciting 14-day series entitled “Exercise and Cancer “will be released by the leading experts of Exercise and Nutrition at Savor Health. Why 14 days? Because this is half of 28 and 28 is approximately the number of days required to turn a new exciting habit into a satisfying, long term lifestyle change.
On Days 1-14, here is what you should expect from us at Savor:
- DAY 1: BENEFITS OF EXERCISE ON CANCER – THE RESEARCH TODAY
- DAY 2: STRENGTH AND CARDIO EXERCISES – THE DYNAMIC DUO
- DAY 3: FUELING STRATEGIES AROUND EXERCISE – PRE-EXERCISE NUTRITION: WHAT, HOW, WHEN
- DAY 4: FUELING STRATEGIES AROUND EXERCISE – POST-EXERCISE NUTRITION: WHAT, HOW, WHEN
- DAY 5: FUELING STRATEGIES AROUND EXERCISE – DURING EXERCISE: WHAT, HOW, WHEN
- DAY 6: BEHAVIOR CHANGE – TIPS TO TURN EXERCISE INTO A HABIT AT A PERSONAL LEVEL
- DAY 7: BEHAVIOR CHANGE – EXERCISE AND SELF EFFICACY
- DAY 8: BEHAVIOR CHANGE – A LETTER TO THE LOCAL COMMUNITY
- DAY 9: EXERCISE AND BONE HEALTH
- DAY 10: EXERCISE AND THE IMMUNE SYSTEM
- DAY 11: EXERCISE FOR WEIGHT LOSS IN BREAST CANCER SURVIVORS
- DAY 12: EXERCISE AND CONSTIPATION – ENHANCING DIGESTION
- DAY 13: EXERCISE AND ANOREXIA
- DAY 14: NUTRITIOUS CALORIE DENSE SHAKE IDEAS FOR EXERCISERS WITH CANCER
On Day 1, get a quick review of the most promising science to date so you can understand exactly why this change is beneficial. On Day 2 better understand the nuances and benefits of both major forms of exercises. On Day 3-5, learn how to fuel yourself properly to reach your goals and have enough energy for exercise. On Days 6-8 learn about the behavior change process and simple tips to take a new endeavor, such as exercise, and turn it into a fulfilling lifestyle. On Days 9-13 learn about how exercise can be a medicinal therapy for many of the common side effects of cancers. Finally, on Day 14 learn some new and delicious recipes for higher calorie shakes that we have tried on the athlete’s palate.
In the days following it is our sincere hope that you will have a better understanding and new appreciation for all things exercise. We invite you to read the articles in order like chapters in a book. Then, follow up with us so that we can continue to guide you on this exciting journey towards:
Exercise. A powerful tool. Let’s move our bodies! You can make it happen, we know you can!