March mango madness continues with the recipe of the month—Mango-Black Bean Shrimp Salad in Avocado Bowls. These little salads are a perfect side dish or appetizer to any meal and start to finish they take about 30 minutes to make with relatively little cooking. You may remember from the Food of the Month post that the mighty mango is rich in vitamins A, C and B6, and adds a nice touch of color and tang to many dishes. Adding in the black beans and red pepper only boosts fiber and vitamin content, plus the shrimp is a great source of tryptophan, selenium and lean protein. You can also make this without the shrimp to keep it vegetarian. Enjoy!
Mango-Black Bean Shrimp Salad in Avocado Bowls
Makes 4 Avocado halves
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup chopped mango
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 6 shrimp, fresh or frozen
- salt and pepper to taste
- If using frozen shrimp, run under cold water to allow it to thaw.
- Meanwhile, chop all of the other ingredients: red onion, mango, cilantro, red pepper, and jalapeno.
- Add the black beans to the other ingredients.
- Halve the avocados and scoop out the centers using a spoon, leaving a little bit of avocado inside so there is a nice green border for your bowls. I also cut a very small amount off the bottom of the bowl so it would lay flat without rolling.
- Season your shrimp (I used salt, pepper, and chili powder) and saute in a tiny bit of oil oil for 2-4 minutes over medium-high heat. Once cooked through, set shrimp aside to cool.
- Chop 4 of the shrimp and add to the salad. Cut the other two shrimp in half lengthwise to lay on top of the salad at the end.
- Dress your salad with juice from one lime and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill your avocado bowls, top with shrimp half and cilantro leave. Serve along with some tortilla chips and enjoy!
Recipe and images courtesy from: Get Off Your Tush & Cook
Get Off Your Tush & Cook. Mango-Black Bean Shrimp Salad in Avocado Bowls. Accessed from http://getoffyourtushandcook.com/2013/05/mango-black-bean-shrimp-salad-in-avocado-bowls.html.