April is a month full of many impactful awareness events! Testicular Cancer awareness month and week, Esophageal Cancer awareness month, and Oral, Head & Neck Cancer awareness month all take place in April. Take time to educate yourself and your community, host a fundraising event or learn about how you can make a difference in the lives of those impacted by these diseases.
Testicular Cancer Awareness Month
Did you know that the most common cancer among males ages 15-34 is testicular cancer?[i]. Testicular cancer is one of the most treatable cancers, and Testicular Cancer Awareness Month and Testicular Cancer Awareness Week, April 1st-7th, aim to educate the public as well as raise awareness of this cancer [i, ii]. How can you know your risk factors and help spread awareness?
1. Get a free self-exam Shower Card for your family, friends or for yourself [i].
2. Host a fundraising event. The Testicular Cancer Foundation provides a Free Fundraising Kit to help you get started [i].
3. Raise awareness while shopping online. Add Testicular Cancer Society as your Charity on Amazon Smile [iii].
4. Educate yourself and others. Learn more about testicular cancer and recent research on the American Cancer Society’s Website [iv].
Esophageal Cancer Awareness Month
Because esophageal cancer is one of the fastest increasing cancers in the western world, awareness is important to provide education on prevention methods [vii]. Lifestyle behaviors such as smoking and heavy alcohol consumption are risk factors that can be associated with esophageal cancer [v]. April is a month devoted to increasing awareness of esophageal cancer, early detection and treatment. How can you get involved?
1. Wear Periwinkle! You can show support by wearing esophageal cancer’s designated color this April [vi].
2. Visit the Esophageal Cancer Awareness Association to educate yourself and others on risk factors of esophageal cancer [vi].
3. Order a Reach Out Kit to raise awareness in your community [vii].
4. Learn more about how to treat heartburn and how you can lower risk of esophageal cancer here [viii].
Oral, Head and Neck Cancer Awareness Month
Oral, head and neck cancer accounts for close to 3% of cancers in the United States [ix]. Although screening and early detection are recognized as important preventative measures, close to 70% of Americans have never been examined by a medical professional for oral, head or neck cancer [x]. It is important to help educate and bring awareness to the impact that screening and detection has on oral, head and neck cancers. How can you help inform others?
1. Know your risks. Did you know that the use of tobacco with alcohol can put you at a greater risk than if alcohol and tobacco are used independently [xi]?
2. Read featured articles and listen to podcasts about Head and Neck Cancer here [xii].
3. Know your facts! Read 50 Facts about Oral, Head and Neck Cancer to learn more [xiii].
4. Create your own Cancer Game Plan, as part of an initiative by Savor Health and Merck [xiv].
[i] What is Testicular Cancer Awareness Month. Retrieved from https://testicularcancer.org/testicular-cancer-month
[ii] Testicular Cancer Awareness. Retrieved from https://www.aacrfoundation.org/Pages/testicular-cancer-awareness-month-april.aspx
[iii] Easy Ways to Help and Support the Testicular Cancer Society. Retrieved from https://www.testicularcancersociety.org/easy_ways_to_help.html
[iv] Testicular Cancer. Retrieved from https://www.cancer.org/cancer/testicular-cancer.html
[v] Esophageal Cancer Awareness Month. Retrieved from https://www.aacrfoundation.org/Pages/esophageal-cancer-awareness-month-april.aspx
[vi] Risk Factors. Retrieved from https://www.ecaware.org
[vii] April is Esophageal Cancer Awareness Month. Retrieved from https://ecan.org/#
[viii] April is Esophageal Cancer Awareness Month. Retrieved from https://www.dekalbmedical.org/news/2018/04/april-is-esophageal-cancer-awareness-month
[ix] Head and Neck Cancer Awareness Month. Retrieved from https://www.aacrfoundation.org/Pages/head-and-neck-cancer-awareness-month-april.aspx
[x] Head and Neck Cancer Awareness Month. Retrieved From https://www.entnet.org/OHANCAW
[xi] Head and Neck Cancer Awareness. Retrieved From. https://www.rogelcancercenter.org/head-and-neck-cancer/head-and-neck-cancer-awareness
[xii] Podcasts and Articles. Retrieved from https://www.headandneck.org/podcasts-articles/
[xiii] 50 Facts about Oral, Head and Neck Cancer. Retrieved from https://www.enthealth.org/be_ent_smart/50-facts-about-oral-head-and-neck-cancer/
[xiv] Your Cancer Game Plan. Retrieved from http://savorhealth.com/yourcancergameplan-com/